Friday, September 30, 2011

Homemade applesauce...yum.

I love homemade applesauce - if you've never had it it tastes completely different than the runny storebought stuff and it's very easy to make.

I bought a half bushel of "C" grade Cortlands at a local apple farm for $7.00.  They were big and crisp - perfect for making sauce.  "C" grade just means they don't look perfect or they are the "wrong" size so they are cheaper than the "A" grade.

I washed them well and cut them in quarters - removing the blossom end - where the little hairs are - but everything else went into 2 large pots to simmer on low for several hours.  After they had fully cooked down I dumped them all into one pot so I could use the other pot for the finished applesauce.

I've found that an old fashioned food mill works better than almost anything else.  I discovered mine at a "junk-shop" a few years ago.  It comes with a wooden squisher but I seem to have misplaced it...Donna to the rescue again - she actually has spares!  I have a more "modernized version" with a hand crank (below) but it honestly doesn't work as well.


The sauce is just being reheated now so I will be able to can it.  It could also be frozen at this point.


That's all there is to it!  If you want to can your applesauce follow the instructions in any good CURRENT canning book like the Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving or check online.  Canning practises have changed over the years due to extensive testing for food safety - be sure to follow the recipe and then enjoy your own homemade applesauce!  YUM.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I read your testimonial that FlyLady published, and was trying to figure out what "Shalom Engedi" meant. I know the Shalom is peace, but didn't know if Engedi was just a place name or also meant something special in Hebrew. So I searched with Bing and found your blog. I enjoyed it so much I am reading the whole thing from the beginning.

    Your old fashioned food mill is also known as a ricer. Heard it called that at a pioneer cabin museum in Florida. Knew my grandmother had one, but had never heard a name for it. We also have one in our church kitchen, where I work part time.

    Our homeschooling family is blessed to live on our own little 3 acres in the country after 11 years in a small town. Our land is mostly wooded, though, so don't think we could raise all our own food. Wonderful ideas, though! Reading of your excitement over country living reminds me again how blessed we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Violet! Welcome to the blog. Shalom Engedi in Anita's translation means Peaceful Oasis. When you look up what Shalom really means it's actually a long list of blessings...completeness, wholeness, health, peace, welfare, safety, soundness, tranquility, prosperity,fullness, rest, harmony, the absence of agitation or discord - a very special word. We have already heard from many people visiting us on the farm that is so peaceful here. We agree! I wake up every morning so thankful to be here and I am often heard saying in awe: We live here...wow.

    Thanks for the info on the ricer - I didn't know that! I know I can make riced potatoes with it but I'm not sure what else...any ideas?

    Have a wonderful day on your homestead - glad you're enjoying the blog!

    hugs,
    Anita

    ReplyDelete

Join the family - join the conversation - share your own adventures - I LOVE comments!